Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links. See here for more information.
Have you ever had a great idea—an idea so great that you’re pretty sure you’re going to be a millionaire because of it?
This happens to me a lot, but dang it, somebody has always come up with the invention already.
My most recent stroke of genius spawned from an interesting tip I read in my local paper about how to clean your microwave. I know, try to contain your excitement. All you have to do is put a cup of water in it and heat it to boiling. Then let the cup sit and steam for a couple of minutes. Open the door and wipe down the inside of your microwave with ease. Done. Steam is a wonderful thing.
After I did this for the first time, I wondered why I could not clean my whole house like this. Not turn it into a sauna, but maybe use a handheld steaming device.
I was excited about this idea for about a minute, dreaming of my instant shot to fame and fortune…but like I said, these great ideas happen a lot. I know not to get my hopes up.
So I got on Amazon and found what I was looking for: a handheld steam cleaner.
This particular model, about $30 when I got it, was way cheaper than all of the other models. I thought, hey why not? So I ordered it with some birthday money.
It arrived in the mail, and I was giddy, but I was also sort of intimidated by it. I mean, look at it. What do you do with that thing?
I tested it on my sort of grimy bathtub and shower. Oh my gosh, where have you been all my life, my little friend? I will never scrub anything again.
It has taken a little practice to get the hang of how to use it, but basically you just shoot steam out of that long nozzle thingy and then wipe down the surface afterwards. Done. I haven’t needed to try any of the other attachments yet.
Yesterday I turned into psycho pregnant cleaning lady (she shows up occasionally these days) and decided to go at my kitchen with this. It is a real gem on a gas range will all those little crevices — especially mine, which gets streaky with normal cleaning products.
My kitchen is sparkling now. I even attacked the walls, baseboards and the floor (although I might give more credit to psycho pregnant cleaning lady than to the machine itself).
At any rate: why don’t more people know about these things????
Here are the pros:
- It’s fast and convenient (takes a couple of minutes to warm up though).
- It completely sanitizes surfaces without using a drop of chemicals or gross-smelling cleaning agents.
- It eliminates the need for scrubbing or soaking.
- It’s very reasonably priced.
To be honest, a few cons:
- While convenient, it’s not quite as easy to use as spraying down a surface and wiping it up really quickly.
- The power cord isn’t all that long — it may occasionally require an extension cord.
- It doesn’t always treat stains very well. Fortunately, I also have discovered the Magic Eraser, which I used to get all the really weird grime out of my bathtub after a good steaming.
Overall, is a handheld steam cleaner worth buying? Absolutely positively! I can’t wait to try it on upholstery next!